At the beginning of the year, I spent almost 2 months helping 5 students prepare intensively for their case interviews. And to illustrate how much feedback and practice can affect your odds of success, take a look at what happened...
Of the 5 students:
1. One applied to one firm (MBB) and made it to the final round before deciding that consulting was not for her.
2. Student #2 received final-round interviews with a number of firms before turning down McKinsey Dubai's final round to accept an offer from Deloitte.
3. Student #3 accepted an offer at McKinsey and has been working there for the past few months.
4. Student #4 had final-round interviews with Monitor, BCG, and Deloitte (among others), received an internship offer from AT Kearney, and ultimately accepted their full-time offer.
5. Student #5 received an internship offer from Deloitte, interviewed with Monitor, BCG, Bain, McKinsey (among others) and ultimately accepted a full-time offer from McKinsey.
There's nothing more rewarding than feeling like you've made an impact, and it gives me faith that the advice I'm giving on the site is not half-bad. That said, these were very motivated and intelligent students who needed some direction, feedback, and practice. If you're reading this, then odds are that you are as well. Use this as a reminder that you can get there as well with practice, hard work, and good partners!